Sunday, April 3, 2011

First Movie: Akeelah and The Bee

In becoming teacher, there are many things I ought to learn. One of the effective ways to learn is through movies. There are many movies that show the characteristics of a good teacher. The movie “Akeelah and The Bee” is one of the movies that show how to be a great teacher.
When we are talking about entertainment value, of course movies are made to entertain people. “Akeelah and The Bee” has the sense of entertainment. When I was watching the movies, there were scenes that capture my interest. For example, I am impressed with Akeelah’s instructor as he used methods that are not normal in memorizing words; there is a scene when he asked Akeelah to memorize words through skipping. However, I can say that “Akeelah and The Bee” gives more than just entertainment to me. It gives me a good lesson in becoming a teacher.
 The movie really affects me as a B.Ed.Tesl student. “Akeelah and The Bee” shows me the determination of a teacher in preparing his student for a competition. As a teacher, I cannot easily give up my students. If I fail, I ought to find another way to make my lesson successful.
Dr.Larabee in the movie reminds me of my teacher when I was in lower secondary school. The name of the teacher is Miss Sabrina. I salute her because she never gives up in teaching us students of the rural area. We were not proficient in English but that did not stop her from giving all her best in making us to understand English language. Just like Dr.Larabee, she always came up with interesting lesson. Her lesson is so interesting that it made us more profound to learn English. And right now, I am learning to be an English teacher.

One lesson that really touches my heart from the movie “Akeelah and The Bee” is that students have potential in themselves that we teachers always overlook. In the movie, Dr.Larabee initiates the true potential of Akeelah as a great spelling bee competitor. For that, he used many ways in preparing Akeelah for the national championship. For me, Dr.Larabee is my inspiration. When I become teacher, I will not underestimate my students’ potential even they are students from rural or poor area. I will try my best in order to produce great students. 

1 comment:

  1. To Zahri -
    After reading your post, i would like to meet your teacher as she really lives a life of a great teacher where she never give up and works hard to make your English proficiency better. I think all of us should look up to her and make her our example, never give up on your students as everyone is gifted and different from each other. Some might be poor in studies but they are good in mechanical stuff or sport's field. The talent of each students should not be overlooked as they are the next generation who will rule the country when we are gone. And before i leave, i like this sentence, "If I fail, I ought to find another way to make my lesson successful." Way to go Zahri =)

    ReplyDelete